A Parent, a Child and a Book is a Recipe for Great Success

We all have our favorite childhood stories. My youngest son absolutely loved Goodnight Moon by Margaret Wise Brown. He picked it every night at bedtime for a year and a half. My personal favorite was Sylvester and the Magic Pebble by William Steig. The passing of a great children’s author, such as Maurice Sendak, author of Where the Wild Things Are, brings to mind cherished memories of being curled up together sharing a wonderful story.

For me, being read to as a child and reading with our children are some of the highest quality moments in life we can experience. One of my greatest accomplishments and pleasures as a children’s book author is to hear stories from parents of how they love snuggling with their child reading and enjoying a Thurston T. Turtle book. 

Building Our Story blogger
Censie Sawyer with son.


Many people aspire to what they consider to be great thingsaccomplishments that positively impact the world on a far-reaching and grand level. From the building of the Roman coliseum to the discovery of penicillin to the technology that enables us to place machines on Mars, many have reached such success. And while I appreciate and celebrate all these amazing achievements, I also believe that to have been a driving force in parent and child together time, snuggled with a good story, is to have achieved something just as impactful, far-reaching and grand.

So, when I say that we’ve lost one of the greatest people of our time today, I truly meant it. Where the Wild Things Are was the favorite of my middle child. I will always cherish every occasion during which I open that book and read it to my son. Thank you, Mr. Sendak, for all of the high quality time you afforded my child and me. Thank you for being such an important part of our lives. May you rest in peace.  



Comments