Thankful for Bread Recipe



Reader request for bread recipe | Navigating Hectivity by Micki Bare
Thanks, dear reader, for your creative
request for my favorite bread recipe.
Thanksgiving is a great time to reflect on our blessings. This year, I outlined a few of my 2013 gratitudes in my weekly column. However, not long after the newspapers hit folk's driveway puddles and thorny bushes, I received an email from one of my readers. She was distraught. Not because I was thankful, but rather, because I listed the easy recipe I now use to make bread as one of my blessings. However, after describing why the recipe was so great, I continued on to talk about something else rather than actually include the recipe. In an effort to right this egregious wrong, here is my version of the recipe my mom shared with me from one of her magazines:

My favorite bread recipe:


Pour 3 cups of hot tap water in mixer bowl.
Dump 1 1/2 Tbs of sea salt into the hot water.
Sprinkle 1 1/2 Tbs of yeast on top of the hot water.
Combine 6 cups of unbleached all purpose flour with 1/2 cup whole wheat flour

Dump the flour mixture into mixer bowl.
With a dough hook, start mixing, slowly at first, then faster, just until it balls up, about a minute of total mixing time.

Remove the dough hook, scraping excess dough back into bowl.
Cover the bowl with hot, damp cloth. Let it rise for an hour.
Place a pan of water on the lower rack of oven. 
Preheat oven to 450
While the oven preheats, scrape dough into floured surface and create two balls of dough. No kneading is required, but you can knead a little if desired to get your loaves shaped.
Place your "loaves" on a greased and floured cookie sheet. When oven is ready, cut the slits across the top of each loaf. I use a bread knife to make the slits.
Place the cookie sheet in the oven above the water pan. The water pan is what creates steam for a better
crust.

Bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and brush with olive oil.
Transfer the loaves to cooling racks.

Homemade Pepperoni Pizza | Navigating Hectivity by Micki Bare
Sometimes my boys like pepperoni on
their homemade pizza. 

For pizza dough:

Reduce the amount of salt to HALF of a Tablespoon.
Follow the above directions until the dough has risen for an hour.
Preheat the oven to its hottest setting.
Dump the dough and a floured surface, divide, knead and roll into pizza crusts.
I flour my pizza pans before transferring the crust.
Brush with oil and top with sauce, toppings and cheese to taste.
Bake until crust is golden and cheese begins to bubble and brown.


Artisan herb breads:

It's just as easy to create your own, homemade artisan breads. I use the above recipe, adding dry herbs, freshly chopped garlic, sundried tomato pieces, or anything else my tastebuds desire or family requests. I add these items to the dry flour mixture before dumping the flour into the hot water.


Enjoy and HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Micki Bare, mother of three, wife, daughter & writer is the author of Thurston T. Turtle children's books. 
Email: mickibare (at) gmail.com
Connect with Micki on Google+
Like Thurston T. Turtle on Facebook
Follow Micki on Twitter: @TurtleAuthor
View Micki's pics on Instagram @mickibare

Comments