Merry Christmas Spirit


The date of His birth is irrelevant | Navigating Hectivity by Micki Bare
It matters only that He was born (not when)
& how we share the Spirit of Christmas.
What's In A Date?
There are some who nitpick about how Jesus' birth had to have taken place in September or another month and date other than a cold December day nestled in the first week of winter. But I am glad we celebrate Christmas in December. First, I can't think of a better time of year than the beginning of the coldest season filled with hardships such high heating costs, surges in illness, and lack of warm sunshine to celebrate generosity, kindness of heart, and empathy toward the human plight. People reach out during the holiday season. And those who need a helping hand need it most during the unforgiving season of winter.

Let Mary and Jesus keep close in their own hearts the actual date of his birth to cherish in private. Let us mark the day during which the memory of His birth can have a deeper, more profound impact on the people He serves. Let those who would serve Him continue His charitable works. And let us all be inspired to live by such examples.

The story of the businessman who anonymously gives away $100 bills during December is one such amazing and inspiring example. Reading it inspired me to share more examples of the Spirit of Christmas as it wandered into my heart this year.
Secret Santa efforts spread the Spirit | Navigating Hectivity by Micki Bare
Secret Santa work helps evoke
and spread the Christmas Spirit

Save It Forward
While Christmas shopping with my mom this past week, I was standing in the checkout line of a large store. A woman who had just finished paying for her things turned around and handed me a stack of coupons. "Would you like to use these coupons?" I was shocked as I took the pieces of paper. Most were expired, but there was one that had a January 2014 expiration date.

At the register, I handed over the one good coupon, and then handed the rest of the stack to the cashier to throw away. He explained that the store was not honoring expiration dates. Then he added that I could use two and handed the unused coupons back to me. I was pleasantly shocked and surprised. I then turned toward the next person in the checkout line and handed the rest of the unused coupons to her.

When I rest my head on my pillow at night, I imagine the coupon stack getting smaller and smaller as it makes its way through the line of shoppers, saving folks money, spreading Holiday Spirit, and inspiring others to be kind to and share with strangers.

Under-indulge & Over Tip
It's no secret that I carry a more cynical heart than most. So, I'm sure this next episode was inspired by my earlier coupon experience. This story involves my son and me casually eating out as we do most Mondays when Hubby is scheduled to work the late shift. That evening, our server greeted us with a shrill voice. My son cringed as he wondered how we'd get through the meal listening to her. While I agreed the initial sound was off-putting, I suggested she might be nervous. Also, she looked sweet and seemed to be working diligently.

As the evening went on, her voice calmed down. We found out it actually was her first week as a server. She was attentive, patient, and kind. A strong desire to forego beverages, I selecting water instead, and choose a modest meal overtook me. My son followed my example and ordered lightly, as well. We then said no to a final course, even though my son had already selected a chocolatey-rich dessert while we were waiting for our food. When I received the bill, which was much lower than usual, I made up the difference with the tip.

The tip ended up being about 50 percent of the total. Our server deserved every dime. During this season of overindulgence, it felt liberating to cut back on our own indulgences and share some of our blessings with someone who works as hard as anyone and probably much harder than most.

Spread the Spirit
Many of us will never have $100,000 a year to hand out to strangers in need. But there are lots of great kindnesses that can be and are shared during the holiday season and into the New Year. No, Jesus was probably not born on December 25. But I certainly am comforted knowing I live in a world in which the warmth of human goodness is stoked in our hearts during an otherwise dismal time of year.

I hope you will share your heartwarming Spirit of Christmas stories with me via email or in the comments section below.

Merry Christmas Spirit to you and yours!

Micki Bare, mother of three, wife, daughter & writer is the author of Thurston T. Turtle children's books. 
Email: mickibare (at) gmail.com
Connect with Micki on Google+
Like Thurston T. Turtle on Facebook
Follow Micki on Twitter: @TurtleAuthor
View Micki's pics on Instagram @mickibare

Comments