Why Italians Sip Wine in the Kitchen



Homemade manicotti epic fail | Navigating Hectivity by Micki Bare
Wine gets this Italian (okay, okay, half-Italian)
past the homemade manicotti epic fail.
Now that I'm getting into making my own pasta, I've discovered why Italians sip wine while cooking. Not only does the taste pair well with the aromas unleashed during the process of simmering sauce and sautéing garlic, but the alcohol takes the edge off a grand culinary faux pas.

My glass of red wine sits on the counter like an old friend who accepts the imperfections of a mom who regularly attempts to widen her culinary abilities.

My glass of wine doesn't criticize when what seemed like the start of a great meal takes a horrible turn.

My glass of wine takes the sting out of admitting to the family that the grand, homemade meal promised earlier in the day is going to fall short of expectations.

Sad homemade manicotti bits | Navigating Hectivity by Micki Bare
Bits of homemade manicotti
chip away at my ego.
My glass of wine inspires me create something semi-edible out of a crumbling mess.

My glass of wine makes it easier for me to dial the number of Times Square Pizzeria so my family can still be well fed despite an epic fail on my first attempt at homemade manicotti.

My glass of wine makes it easier for me to focus on the fact that even though the manicotti shells didn't work out, I knocked the sauce and cheese filling out of the park.

My glass of wine encourages me to get back on the proverbial horse and try again.
Good looking, yet  pathetic manicotti | Navigating Hectivity by Micki Bare
Never judge a book by its cover.
This was not a great homemade manicotti.

Here's to another try at homemade manicotti. Salute!

Micki Bare, mother of three, wife, daughter & writer is the author of Thurston T. Turtle children's books. 
Email: mickibare (at) gmail.com
Connect with Micki on Google+
Like Thurston T. Turtle on Facebook
Follow Micki on Twitter: @TurtleAuthor
View Micki's pics on Instagram @mickibare

Comments