Cucumber Biscuits


Fridge Pickles | Navigating Hectivity by Micki Bare
Refrigerator pickles are great,
but our tastebuds longed
for something new.
After making several jars of refrigerator pickles, preparing a few tubs of cucumber and onion salad, and tossing chunks of fresh cucumber into summer salads chock full of greens and tomatoes, it was time to come up with something new. It was a good year for cucumbers. I did not grow any, however, it has been difficult to go out into public without someone handing us a bag of extras from their garden.

Therefore, one night, I decided to take matters into my own kitchen. My children do not like it when I head to the kitchen with an idea and an apron. However, they were not home on that particular evening. Hubby and I had planned to enjoy some baked fish for supper. To go with the fish, I created my newest culinary invention: baked cucumber biscuit twists.
Ready to Bake | Navigating Hectivity by Micki Bare
They looked messy right before
I put them in the oven. 

I began by slicing the cucumbers lengthwise into long strips. Then I put the strips in a gallon-size plastic bag. I added a few tablespoons of self-rising flour and, since we were baking salmon that night, tossed in a generous helping of Old Bay seasoning. Then I shook the bag to coat the cucumber strips.

Meanwhile, I made some biscuit batter. Then I created long ropes, like when we used to make clay snakes in preschool, out of the batter. This was messy, as biscuit batter is gooey. 
Baked Cucumber Biscuit Twists | Navigating Hectivity by Micki Bare
The baked cucumber biscuit twists
looked weird, but smelled and tasted great!

Carefully, I wrapped the biscuit batter snakes around the coated cucumber strips. Then I melted some butter on top of which I sprinkled more Old Bay seasoning. I brushed the seasoned butter on the wrapped cucumbers. Then I baked them in a pre-heated 450-degree oven on the top rack just as I would have baked regular biscuits. 

I expected gross mush. Hubby was skeptical. We were both hungry. The cucumber biscuits smelled amazing and held together when we picked them up, so we went ahead and tasted them.

WOW!

A Great Meal | Navigating Hectivity by Micki Bare
Using Old Bay seasoning was the
way to go to make this new recipe
pair well with salmon and couscous.
They were delicious! They were also extremely filling. We could only eat one each with our salmon and other sides. They were so good that I plan on making them again when the boys are home for supper. As a matter of fact, I might even plant cucumbers in the spring. 

Micki Bare, mother of three, wife, daughter & writer is the author of Thurston T. Turtle children's books. 
Email: mickibare (at) gmail.com
Connect with Micki on Google+
Like Thurston T. Turtle on Facebook
Follow Micki on Twitter: @TurtleAuthor
View Micki's pics on Instagram @mickibare

Comments