Why I'm a writer


It was a sunny, warm day filled with people who love books. I was set up in booth number 38 with seven of my writer friends — all members of Published Authors Network or PAN. 


Booth 38 at Bookmarks Festival 2019 | Micki Bare
We had a great time in booth #38.
We loved our neighbors in booth #39!
This was my first author event with the group and I was just happy to be be there. For much of the year, the Bookmarks Festival had been a topic of discussion at our meetings — along with writing project updates, conference experiences, process discussions, and how to efficiently construct dessert in the tiny bowls they provide at the dessert bar in the restaurant that serves as our monthly meeting place.

It was a tight squeeze to get eight of us set up at two tables in our booth space, but we made it work. A couple of us actually spilled over into the next booth thanks to some amazing booth neighbors. 
Published Authors Network at Bookmarks Festival | Micki Bare
Here we are, from left, Mike Axsom, me, Karen McCullough,
Karen Hall, Karen Fritz, Agnes Alexander, Lynn Chandler Willis,
and (not pictured because he took the photo) Ross Cavins.
Also, if you like the hand-crafted wood signs (left), contact Ross for pricing!

Networking, meeting new people, a coffee shop thirty feet away, access to nice bathrooms, and sunny weather conspired to make it the perfect atmosphere for selling and signing books. 


And had none of that happened; if it had been a cold, drizzly day; if our booth neighbors been possessive of space and patrons; if we had to use port-o-potties; or if we had no access to iced mocha lattes; it still would have been the most amazing day. 

What made the day so incredibly special — one that I will always remember and cherish — was my last sale late in the afternoon. 
My display. Thanks to Lynn pushing me to
create and bring bookmarks, and Staples'
quick and pleasant service, I had something
to give away to prospective readers. 

Earlier in the day, a mom stopped by our table with her son. He was the perfect age for Thurston T. Turtle. He had just started reading chapter books. His mother told him he could purchase a book at the Bookmarks Festival. But rather than just tell him to find one, she had him visit the booths with children's authors and "interview" each one. 

I was one of the first authors he met that day. It was a pleasure talking with him about each of my books. I let him flip through the pages as I briefly described the plots. He listened intently. With some prompting by his mom, he asked when and why I wrote the books. 

It was a pleasant, easy conversation. I gave him a Thurston T. Turtle bookmark (thank you Lynn Chandler Willis for insisting I get those made before the event). He thanked me and then he and his mom left to discover other authors. 

Considering the festival was filled with children's writers, including a few that boasted best-selling books, I didn't expect to see my young visitor again.

Several hours later, I'd moved to a shadier spot in our booth after a couple of authors in our group left early. It was getting late and the crowds were thinning. I'd done well and was enjoying the light banter among friends.

In a late-day resurgence, our booth became crowded again as my fellow writers conversed with readers looking for mystery, crime, and science fiction. That's when I saw the boy from earlier in the day making his way through the crowd to my spot at the table. With a big grin, he said, "I'd like to buy your book!" His mom was not far behind. 

As it turned out, he'd been looking all over for the "Turtle Lady," which I quickly learned was me. After perusing the offerings of other children's authors, conducting interviews, and flipping through books, he decided the one book he was going to buy would be a Thurston T. Turtle book. 

I was shocked and honored and humbled all at once. I asked which book he wanted. He quickly settled on the first in the three-book series. His mom asked me how much it cost. When I told her the price per book, then mentioned the discount for buying all three as a set, she decided to let him buy them all. 

I asked him his name and had him spell it three times so I wouldn't make a mistake. Then I carefully signed each one. Handing him those books, and seeing his big smile, is a moment I will never forget. 

This is why I love being a writer.

Michele "Micki" Bare, mother of three, wife, daughter & marketing director, is the author of Thurston T. Turtle children's chapter books. 
Email mickibare (at) gmail (dot) com
Network with Micki on LinkedIn
Like Navigating Hectivity on Facebook
Like Thurston T. Turtle on Facebook
Follow Micki on Twitter @TurtleAuthor
View Micki's pics on Instagram @mickibare

Comments

Post a Comment